Sep 16, 2014

Galway Pub Scrawl turns 5!

Logo by the incomparable Mary Lillis.

On a Monday evening back in January 2012, I walked into McSwiggan's Bar in Galway for what would be my first of many, many Galway Pub Scrawls. It seems a long time ago now, but I do quite clearly recall the nervous excitement I felt as I introduced myself to the group of people already there.

Up until that point, I was one of those artists that was completely isolated from other artists, apart from through the internet, of course. But I was never really part of the cool art group at school, nor did I join any artistic clubs. I'd taken some short courses, but never really managed to find a clique that fit right.

But the Galway Pub Scrawl gang pretty rapidly changed all of that. Granted, I'd known the founder of the group, Donal Fallon, for many a year, and several of my fellow staff members at the bookshop, Patrick Gavin and Oisin Greaney, were already regular attendees. But apart from that, I was entering uncharted waters that first night.

Goodness me, am I glad I went in though. I think I can safely say that Galway Pub Scrawl has changed my life, in lots of ways.
Firstly, some of my very bestest friends are Pub Scrawlers: Mez, Ger and Anita to name but a few. I totally wuv you guys.
But in all seriousness, I do feel as though Galway Pub Scrawl has been hugely beneficial to not only my personal life, but also my artistic growth. Through the many and varied challenges that we manage to sign up for, I have created some pieces that I would never have thought to do if left to my own devices. And it's all been done in the company of like-minded friends.

So it was with great delight that I was there at the most recent Pub Scrawl which just so happened to be its 5th Anniversary!
Fellow Scrawler, Kieran (or is it Ciaran?) and I came up with the idea of having a sort of art swap meet where revelers bring along any art they are happy to give away and it can be thrown in the communal pot. Anybody was free to give and take whatever they wanted.
My reasoning for it was to treat it as a sort of token of my humble and heartfelt gratitude for everything that the Galway Pub Scrawl has given me over the last nearly three years. And, you know, if you're a friend of mine, you're gonna get some free art from me whether you like it or not!

So here are my friends and the pieces of art of mine they chose:
Dermot Canniffe made a late charge for this piece.

Gerard Coady. Joy bringer. Food eater.

James Newell. He has all the cool pens.

The lovely Katie Creaven. I grabbed one of her drawings too.

Kieran got greedy.

Linda was in quick for the G-Gnome.

My pal, Mez.

Mo, provider of high-brow humour.

Philip Barrett. He teaches how to make comics.

Yolande and her kewl earrings.
You wouldn't think it with this picture, but Donal Fallon is actually a massive fan of
mine and he hangs on every artistic stroke I make.

It was a really great night spent with wonderful friends, delicious food (thanks to Mez, Yolande and McSwiggan's), lively conversation and art being created in all directions.

Who could ask for more?

No comments: