Jun 17, 2014

The Circle

It occurs to me that there exists a long list of things I have said I will do on this blog that, for one reason or another, I never got around to actually doing. There's a decent pile of paintings that are waiting for me to get back to them, as well as the odd little story I want to write still. It is my aim, over the coming months, to dramatically shorten this list. I still have a couple of weeks of finishing up commissions for folks, but then I am going to concentrate, for a little while anyway, on getting some of these things crossed off.

One of the things I would really like to get back to, is the fantasy story I came up with a couple of years ago, called 'The Circle.' Myself and a few Galway artist buddies put together a little anthology back then, and I produced an 8-page introductory chapter, resplendent with an illustration on each page, for it.
We always intended to produce more anthologies featuring the continued adventures of our own creations, but nothing ever really came of it, despite several of the artists completing further work for them.

I'm not quite sure where I would like to go with the project in the future. I have the story pretty loosely plotted out in my head, but the real issue I am finding is in which form to put the story. It could work nicely as a fantasy comic, an illustrated periodical, or a straight novel. I think that the way to go is to not really settle on just one of them. The way I see it, if a chapter would work best as a comic, then do it as a comic, but if it would work better as just words, then so be it! I see no reason why the story can't jump between media.

But we'll see what happens in the future. I'm not going to make any promises on what will come of it, but I do want to show off that 8-pager introductory chapter produced for that initial anthology.

So here it is, enjoy! (I recommend right-clicking on the images and opening then in a new tab/window for best viewing results.)
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Back soon.

3 comments:

Tim Shorts said...

This is great Jay. Really great work.

kevin gough said...

Great story!! Nicely written too

Jay Penn said...

Thanks gentlemen. I have a very strong urge to get the second chapter going on this story.