Jun 2, 2014

30-Day Drawing Challenge '14 - Day 2

Today's challenge topic is to draw your 'opposite self.'
I've given this one a good deal of thought over the last couple of days, and it's really had me stumped as to which direction to go in. There were plenty of seemingly obvious options, such as drawing myself as a woman (which was one of the challenges last year), or as an alien, or short or dashingly handsome...
But none of that really grabbed me.

So I started thinking about the things I like and dislike and what the opposites would be. My so-called friends often chastise me about the fact that I seem to hate everything, everyone and everywhere.
This is absolutely not true! Granted, I passionately dislike a great many things, but they are totally outweighed by the things I whole-heartedly love. I think I've mentioned that I am actually a happy person when I wake up in the morning. I like to listen to music or podcasts in the morning and my thoughts are never far from my loved-ones and the things that interest me as I make my way into work. Most mornings, I walk along the river in town and delight in seeing the Mallards, the solitary Grey Heron and the odd swan. I love the sight of budding trees and flowering plants, the morning sunlight on the water as it runs past the odd visible trout or insect alighting on its surface.

Usually, by the end of the working day, I've been beaten into something resembling a grumpy old Troll by a variety of things, mostly in the shape of humans, but my mood never lasts long and as soon as I open the front door to my home, where my wife and our boy, Louie, await me, my mood is instantly brighter.

I also have my opinions. Like everybody. They aren't necessarily justified, nor are they always logical. But they're my opinions, and mine alone. A lot of them tie into my own personal taste, which, as an artist, is a very important thing. An artist's taste is suggestive of what sort of artist they are themselves. For instance, I doubt very much that if Leonardo da Vinci were alive today, he would be a fan of somebody like Jeff Koons or Tracey Emin. He'd probably dislike them as much as I do, actually.

So, getting back to the challenge topic, I started thinking along the lines of 'what if I didn't have such strong convictions?' 'What if my tastes were more vanilla?' Well...

In other news, I'm going to be up very late this evening finishing off the last piece on the big job that a couple of art buddies and I have been working on. I should have a link to show that will give some more details of the company we have produced the work for in the next couple of days.

After that, I'm going to take a couple of days off from drawing just to recharge the batteries a little, as they are running pretty low right now. I don't think I'll be able to get tomorrow's challenge piece done, but we'll see how we go with Day 4. But you know me, I'm always around.
Back soon.

No comments: