Jan 10, 2014

Warming up with Willow

Old drawing buddy of mine, Gord Mackay, and I have been catching up online a lot lately to discuss art and keep each other inspired as we work away on our respective projects. Gord is producing some great stuff and increasing his skill levels at a rapid rate at the moment. Go check out his blog!

Personally, I've been struggling a little lately with commitment levels and quality. When you work in retail, the Christmas period is pretty crazy and I feel as though there is a fog in my head that still won't fully lift.
One piece of very useful advice Gord gave me was to not start anything new until the slate of old work is clear. That makes total sense to me and I'm in the process of doing just that. Some of you may recall me starting this piece months ago-


Well, it's back on the drawing board and coming along nicely. I just applied some loose washes to it yesterday and will hopefully get time in the coming week to finish it off, once and for all.

Also yesterday, I did a few warm up sketches of my old friend, Willow.


Regular readers will know that I've been trying to get the right look for him down for a long time now. I feel like I'm getting close, it's a battle of getting the proportions of each facial feature just right.

On an unrelated note, as I was opening up this blog to write this post, I noticed that I have acquired a new follower! As a blogger with a very small following, seeing this really makes me happy. So I welcome you, Bionomi, to my little slice of the internet.

I'll be back soon with more art to show, but the next post will feature a bunch of old artwork I want to find new homes for. That's right folks, it's the Jay Penn Art January Sale!
See you then.

1 comment:

Tim Shorts said...

Just added Gordon to the blog roll. Thanks for the heads up.