Jan 25, 2014

Bliary Entry #2: Artease!

Today was a fun day. As I mentioned in the previous post, today was the day I was going to do some life drawing for the first time in about 16 years, by my reckoning.
It didn't disappoint.

I was invited to this thing, called Artease, by Facebook friend and fellow Galway Pub Scrawler, Anita McGarry. The initial premise of the event was that it was life drawing and alternative performance dance mixed together. And that was exactly what it was. The first performer/model, Chloe, did a burlesque performance straight off the bat, before posing for us. We started off with ten quick one minute poses before moving on to longer ones.
As I said, it's been a while since I've done life drawing, so those early poses were tough. Very tough. But as I loosened up, I got more confident.

Chloe
I did a couple of decent pieces of Chloe in recline, I gave them to her afterwards as a thanks for posing for us. Shoulda taken pictures first, shoulda taken pictures first...

Next we had a gentleman by the name of Willyam take the stage. He had a great figure for drawing, lots of big muscles and oiled skin.

Willyam
Then we had a really interesting performance piece by a woman by the name of Hataitip, I think it was a traditional Japanese dance. Very emotional and graceful. And to think that just a few days earlier, she was lying on a bed in the Galway Hospital! Pretty remarkable stuff, that.
Lastly, a cool woman named Francesca appeared, dressed slightly Gothic, slightly Steampunk, and did some great fifteen minute poses for us.

Francesca
I was really getting into it by the end. I'd brought materials for all eventualities I could think of, but I mostly just used a soft pencil. The traditional tool for life drawing is charcoal, but I don't much like that stuff. I find it messy, cumbersome and difficult to wield.
I want to try out some watercolours next time. I was thinking that maybe I could pre-mix a wash colour and do something with that. We'll see.

Anyway, I had great fun and really cannot wait to do the next event.
Back soon, no doubt.

No comments: