Jan 21, 2014

Bliary Entry #1: Markers and forgetfulness

In case you didn't know, a 'bliary' is a mash up of the words 'blog' and 'diary.' I thought it up independently a few days ago, then found out that I hadn't, in fact, been the first to come up with it. Far from it, actually. But I like the word and what it entails. And I want this blog to be more of a diary, a sort of chronicle of my artistic pursuits. So there will be a lot more posts like this to come. Fair warning!

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, my old drawing called 'The Wizard's Granddaughter' is currently on my drawing board. I haven't had a lot of time to work on it in the time since mentioning it, I'm currently in the middle of what we call at the bookshop, a long haul. I am on day 12 of a 3-1-5-1-5, the 1's being the days off, the others being days working. So I'm just a pinch exhausted.
I initially wanted to do this piece in watercolour, but as I was working up the background, I really wasn't getting the results I wanted. So I pulled out some acrylics and watered them down instead. The difference it made was pretty instantaneous. I could spend hours working up layers of watercolours, the colours getting muddier all of the time. But with acrylics, with the right amount of dilution, the colours stay fresh and bright. So, yeah, this has turned into an acrylic piece now. I'm really excited about it, actually. I was discussing it with a couple of fellow artists at Galway Pub Scrawl last night. I often find that with a piece that is time-consuming, my enjoyment levels can drop pretty quickly. But with this piece, I can visualise it all and I'm eager to work up the details and use colours in new and interesting ways for me. I have the upcoming weekend off (may it come very soon) and I'm hoping to find a good chunk of time to commit to this piece. I'll post pics of it when I can.

Also this weekend, I'll be attending a life drawing class... but with a difference. From what I can gather, it's a mixture of life drawing and burlesque dancing. I don't quite know what that entails or how it will work. But I'll be turning up with my sketchbook and materials and we'll see what comes of it. I haven't taken a life drawing class in something like 15 years. I used to do them all the time, and there really is no better exercise for honing skill than attending regular life drawing classes. So that should be fun.

Last night's Galway Pub Scrawl was a good time, though I wasn't there for very long. Like an eejit, I'd brought my bag and A4 drawing board, all ready to get some sketching done, but I somehow managed to leave all of my art supplies and paper at home. Yep, eejit.
So I borrowed a pencil (thanks Mary!) and pulled out a notebook from my bag and went to town.


I was sitting next to Brian Cunningham, from Drink & Draw Sligo, who had some wonderful pens and pencils he let me play around with. I liked some of them so much, I'm going to try and find them for myself. In particular, these two badboys:


The Copic Ciao. Nice.
The Faber Castell Pitt Oil Base Medium. Pretty.
I'm really frustrated that I didn't bring my gear though, I was going to finish off a marker sketch I'd been doodling with recently. It has subsequently been finished off. Here it is anyway.

Fear the Whip Master!
I originally wanted to work up a nice pencil drawing for this, but then I thought it worthy of some ink, then I thought that maybe this would be a good one for some marker work. So I just kept going on it. It turned out pretty good, I think. Kinda like a concept design piece for a weird game.

And that just about does it for me. Don't forget that my January Original Art Sale ends on the 31st, so you have a mere 10 days to go to get them at these prices. Hurry! Rush! Scurry! Bye.

No comments: