Jan 5, 2014

A new year, a new banner

It's day 5 of 2014 and I'm very excited about what the year may bring. There's big possibilities out there and I want to grab as many of them as I can. So, with that in mind, it's time to reveal my new logo/banner!


Before Christmas, I downloaded a trial version of the newest Adobe Illustrator. It's one of those 30 day trial things, so I quickly set about putting it to good use. This logo went through many iterations, adaptations, alterations and generations. I started off by just sketching a variety of ideas and styles.


This is just a sampling of the sketches I did, most of them weren't what I was going for at all. I had more of an idea of what I didn't want the logo to look like than what I did want, it was just a matter of trying things out and seeing what worked. The coloured symbols where yet another idea I had for the logo that didn't work out. It's all about trial and error, and by exploring many possible avenues, you hopefully begin to hone in on what you want.


This is the final sketch done on paper. I left out some letters from the 'Faerie' part because I knew I could just copy and paste the same letter from the 'Realms' word. Gotta love technology.
I scanned this image and opened it up in Illustrator and started creating the shapes.


There was a lot of tweaking of lines at this point, getting the placement of each letter how I wanted it and trying to add my own style in as much as possible.
Then it was a process of adding elements like different coloured outlines, textures in the body of the letters and getting a nice blend of the colours. Here's the final piece again-


There's six layers in that final design, here they are individually-


I know that drop-shadows are considered, within the design world, a bit of a no-no. But I don't care about that sort of thing. I wanted to make a logo that felt right, and the drop-shadow feels right, darn it!

So the new logo will be used for a lot of things. I'm thinking of making up some bookmarks, maybe even a sticker or two. It will feature on future prints and whatever else I can think of.

I'll be back soon with some new artwork and I'm toying with doing an art sale too.
Catcha soon!

No comments: