Sep 3, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #99 - Berrie or Berry?

Aaaaah, the penultimate head. Make sure you're here tomorrow for the moderately big finale!

100 Heads in 100 Days #99
Berrie... or maybe Berry. The purple stuff is jam, if you were wondering.
I've adored otters for many years now, they're my favourite species of animal and I've even adopted a couple of them over the years through the wonderful charity, the International Otter Survival Fund (IOSF) based on the Isle of Skye.
It's no wonder, then, that a major character in my book is an otter, is it? Now if only I could settle on its name. I'm torn between the spelling of it, Berrie or Berry...
I also don't think I've quite got its look down yet, the face isn't the right shape and the eyes are too close together; it's straying into bear territory a bit too much. I think I'll be doing a series of posts some time soon where I try and nail down each major character's appearance.

Me Fact #99
If I do manage to eventually get a publishing deal for the Realms of Faerie, I hope I get a say in the format and design of the books, though I know this is probably unlikely. I have pretty specific things in mind for them, though I am flexible and will defer to a better designer than myself. I think D. M. Cornish's 'Monster Blood Tattoo' books are gorgeous, and something similar would suit my Realms of Faerie books perfectly.
I want to make the books an experience to read. I want there to be lots of illustrations, naturally; but I want to do things like maps, character biographies, appendices and such. I also want to have little short stories at the end of the books dealing with specific characters. I figure that if Pixar can do it with their movies, I can do it with my books!

No comments: