Aug 9, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #74 - My Top 10 Favourite Artists

I quite enjoyed doing that Top 11 Tips for Aspiring Artists list the other day. I like lists. I'm going to do another one today.

Here, in no particular order, are...

My Top 9 Favourite Artists

Bart Sears
I've been a fan of Bart's work for over 20 years now. He's a good friend and continues to create work that mesmerises me.

Rien Poortvliet
I was quite young when I first saw his work and I still adore it to this day. He's a wonderful children's book artist and a master nature illustrator.  I've seriously considered learning Dutch so that I can read his books in their native language.

Alan Lee
Nobody draws Beauty better than Alan. Every line he puts down is a beautiful thing.

Frank Frazetta
He introduced me to fantasy art and will always be the master of it. I hope to own an original, even a sketch, one day.

Larry MacDougall
Larry shares many artistic qualities similar to my own. I've had a few people say there is a resemblance there. I'm cool with that, he's great!

Greg Staples
The perfect balance between fantastic style and technical skill. He's prolific, too. That helps.

Brian Froud
THE Faerie artist of the modern world. He's another artist I have followed for most of my life.

Arthur Rackham
To my mind, he's the godfather of Faerie Artists. All of the subsequent Faerie Artists that I like were influenced by him just like me.

Jean-Baptiste-Monge
His Faerie beings are almost exactly what I see when I picture Faerie myself. I wish I could draw like him.

Why only 9 and not the usual 10? Well, those 9 spots were easy to fill, but deciding on who would get the last spot and who would miss out was doing my head in. Should I include Travis Charest at the expense of Jim Murray? What about Dermot Power? Simon Bisley? Countless other artists that I like?
So I chickened out and left it at just 9. I'm the boss here, I can do that if I want.

100 Heads in 100 Days #74
The Umber Giant
Me Fact #74
I love incense, but my wife can't stand it, so I only use it when she isn't around for a while. It makes me feel all spiritual and hippie-esque (which I used to be). It smells good too.

1 comment:

Jay Penn said...

Reserved for Suzanne Perrin.