Aug 2, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #67 - New tools!

I went to probably the best art supplies shop in Galway today. It's called Cregal Art. I only really get to go to it when I have a loan of a car, as it is just far enough away from town to be too far to walk.
So I stocked up on stuff while I was there.


I mentioned a few weeks ago that my favourite white pencil, the mighty Karisma White, is getting pretty worn down. So I bought an assortment of white pencils from different brands to see if there is anything that comes close enough to be able to replace it when it finally wears out completely. I haven't been able to test them out properly yet, but with these 100 Heads, I'll have ample opportunity to do just that.
I also picked up some of my favourite white gel pens and a few other bits and bobs. I love art supply stores; there's always something different to give a try.
The blue thing in the picture is a brush cleaning cup. You fill it with water and the funnel lid ensures that there's no spills. The grooves you can see on it are brush rests. I've had a different brand brush cleaning cup for a while now, also bought from Cregal, but it doesn't have the nifty brush rests. This new one is better, thus.

100 Heads in 100 Days #67

A Patchwork Orc
This fellow was drawn with a couple of the things I bought at Cregal. I used a water soluble HB pencil (the green one in the photo) and it is really nice and has a lot of potential. The yellowy highlighting is from a Pitt Pastel. It's pretty chalky, but I like the sickly colour of it.

Me Fact #67
I used to talk to my buddy Bart Sears every day on Skype. We'd be working away on our own things and just messaging back and forth for hours. I don't have the time these days to do that, unfortunately. I miss our chats very much.

2 comments:

christian said...

That's a fine-looking orc and congrats on the great haul at the art supply store. Knowing you, all of those tools will be put to fine use!

Jay Penn said...

Thanks Christian. This bloke is hard as nails, he's sewn the skin of his victims over his own flesh as badges of honour/extra armour.
I'm really looking forward to playing around with the water soluble HB some more, I think it's capable of a lot once the hang of it is got.