Jul 30, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #64

It's the week that I dread every year right now, Galway Race Week. A whole week of people gambling and getting very, very drunk and making fools of themselves. The traffic is an absolute nightmare, the police take over all of the major intersections to help alleviate the congestion. I swear though, last year, they did more harm than good. I was stuck waiting for one of them to let our side go through at one point; there must have been cars backed up for a good 200 metres behind me and the moron decided to skip us to let a queue of about 20 cars to go through in stead, so we had to wait our turn again, which was another 5 minutes away.

I got angry, I confess. I honked my horn at the policeman and made a 'what the hell!?' gesture. When our turn finally came around, he slowed me down and told me that "good things come to those who wait." I just kept driving at that point, which is probably just as well. If I didn't, I'm sure I would have said something along the lines of "do those that wait longer than they should have, because a policeman can't count out the order of 4 different directions, get something special?"

There is torrential rain here in Galway today, which I reaaallly hope affects the races. I despise the 'sport' of horse racing. I think it is barbaric that horses are whipped and sometimes put down so that people can gamble their money on which one of them is fastest. The old argument that those horses are treated like kings and they love racing does not wash with me for a second. Ask a horse at the start of a race if it could potentially be shot because it breaks its leg just so that the people over the fence can throw some money around, would it still like to race? The answer is pretty obvious.

So I hope it rains here all week and washes the races out. There will be less traffic, less of a mess in town, less dead horses.

100 Heads in 100 Days #64 / 31 Day Drawing Challenge #30
An odd looking Viking
Day 30 of the Galway Pub Scrawl 31 Day Drawing Challenge is to draw either a Viking, a Ninja, a Wrestler, or a Cowboy. I went for a Viking. I was so conscious of not putting horns on his helmet that I forgot to make it look good. But oh well. I was kinda going for a 'what if Stoick the Vast (Hiccup's father in How to Train your Dragon) were real' vibe.

Me Fact #64
I can't handle spicy food. The hottest I can tolerate is about Tikka Masala level, and then only the westernised version.

2 comments:

Tim Shorts said...

Hi Jay, can I swipe this one. That will give me four head to do a piece in the next Manor.

I am digging these guys. Well done.

Jay Penn said...

It's all yours Tim, I'll add it to the pile. Glad you're liking them!