Jul 25, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #59 - Featherhorn

The day off yesterday was pretty productive, I produced a couple of headshots and got a lot of painting done. I always seem to forget how time-consuming painting is. Half of it seems to be spent mixing the right colour, then the application and blending, waiting for it to dry to see how it looks (acrylics dry considerably darker than when they are wet), re-applying, highlights, touch-ups... the hours do fly by. It's so much fun though, you get into a zone and the outside world is a muffled blur as you concentrate on every stroke, every dab, every blot.

I've nearly finished the painting for the local guy and I have one more rough for the magazine to do tonight for approval and then it's on to the final illustration for it and the other projects patiently waiting in line

I'm wrecked tired though. There hasn't been a day of not working either at the bookshop or drawing for hours on end for months. But I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. It would feel very strange indeed at this point to not draw for at least a couple of hours a day.

100 Heads in 100 Days #59
Featherhorn
I have an idea for a creature that I really like the visual design of. He is a forest spirit, ancient and wise. He has huge antlers with protruding fronds that spell out his name in ogham. For those who don't know, ogham (kinda pronounced OH-um) is an ancient irish writing form that is basically a long line with dashes of various formations running through it. It's pretty cool. Anyway, the above head is that creature's daughter.

Me Fact #59
I don't consider photography an artform. Sure, you can be creative when taking photos and when manipulating them, but there are also 'creative' lawyers, I wouldn't call them artists either.

No comments: