Jul 19, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #53 - On Faerie Part 2

Let's talk more about Faerie, shall we? Good good.
For those of you interested in the subject, the first part of this ongoing series of 'articles' can be found in yesterday's post right here.

Okay, are we all up to speed? Onward then...

On Faerie - Part 2
In this part, I am going to talk about the geography of Faerie and how to make sense of it.

I think that one of the most common mistakes made about Faerie is that it is bound by the same laws of nature as our own world. This appears not to be the case. Upon reading about many encounters that humans have had with the realms of Faerie, it is obvious that time itself works differently. Many mortals have been taken to Faerie for what seemed like only a night, only to find that decades have passed on Earth upon their return. Traditionally, these people will turn to dust very quickly as time catches up with them.
In this way, time between our realities works very differently. It can possibly be manipulated by denizens of Faerie, and it is perhaps a fluid thing, unpredictable and fluctauting.

I think the terrain of Faerie is somewhat similar to this. There have been many first-hand accounts of the appearance of Faerie, visions too, and each seems to be as different as the last, with very few striking a chord in unison. These are the possible reasons, I think, for this-
  1. The human capacity to objectively observe is limited, so any accounts of Faerie are going to be subjective to many human influences.
  2. Witnesses have been shown only what they are allowed to see. There are powerful entities in Faerie, so a feat like this would not be difficult.
  3. Faerie is an immense place, with landmasses of great size and variety. All of the differing views of Faerie could well be just that, these people have only seen parts of a greater whole, each different from the others.
  4. Faerie is more than one plane of existence. Whilst one person could have had a glimpse of one layer of Faerie, another person could see a completely different one.
The last example is the one that I subscribe to. I believe that Faerie is a grouping of many levels, if you will. Imagine it this way, picture a lava lamp with its floating spheres of different sizes and shapes. Some will collide and join together, others will rub up against each other before separating again. That's what I see Faerie as, an ever moving grouping of spheres, some with pathways between them (and here), while others stand alone. Each sphere is distinct in many ways, with unique flora and fauna and mechanics. Some sphere's are violent places, full of darkness and death, while others are places of intense beauty, the likes of which cannot be seen here. I see the spheres as magically charged, they don't physically inhabit the same space as each other, the paths between them aren't necessarily made of soil and stone.

Many artists and writers have presented their own view of what Faerie is to the world, from Arthur Rackham's whimsical and gnarled vision to Larry MacDougall's bright and homely realm. I think all of them are right, not that there is a right or wrong. I think that each artist and writer's view of Faerie is there to be discovered, on one plane or another. This is where it gets tricky though. Does each version of Faerie exist only because somebody imagines it into being? Or did it previously exist, and the person just imagined an already existing place? I don't know. But I do like to think that Faerie exists on its own, often in spite of us, not because of us.

More tomorrow.

100 Heads in 100 Days #53
A Wood King
Me Fact #53
I am pro-choice. For all of the usual reasons, but mostly because there are too darn many of us humans as it is. The planet simply cannot sustain this many humans with the lifestyles most of us strive for. My wife and I have no intention of having kids.

4 comments:

WA_side said...

I agree with you comments on choice, though I do have 2 kids myself. Growing up I always believed that I would not have children and overpopulation was a large part of that. Other than that, I believe we live our own lives, so have no right to dictate the choices for someone else. If for some reason their choice intersected with our life, then I'd like to think we could have a rational discussion, but ultimately I'm not in their place.

Could I please have The Wood King added to my wishlist of your drawings? I must admit that I find it difficult to request these, as it feels greedy and selfish, however I hope I can support you in some way in the future as recognition.

Jay Penn said...

We are definitely on the same page with the choice thing.
Don't feel as though you are being greedy at all. There's going to be heaps of them left at the end, they might as well go to somebody who wants them.
This one is yours too.

WA_side said...

Totally agree with your next post regarding same-sex marriage too. WHo am I to say what someone else should think in regard to their gender or sexual identity? And in a society that practised equality, why would it matter at all? Love is love.

Jay Penn said...

Exactly! Same sex coupling is far more common in the animal kingdom than most people think too, so it's hardly unnatural.