Jul 8, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #42 - Tolkien wins the day!

Today's 31 Day Drawing Challenge is a good'un - Draw your idol, role model, hero or favourite person in History.
I've been going over who I wanted to depict for this for the last couple of days and only this morning settled on one. The candidates were -

Bart Sears - I've been a fan of his for a very long time and I love his artwork. You can probably see a lot of his style in my work, especially with anatomy. He's a really good friend of mine too, I'd do anything for the bloke.
Rien Poortvliet - My favourite 'artist's artist,' a person that fills me with wonder for nature and animals.
Frank Frazetta - A God that could do anything he wanted artistically. He's my favourite fantasy artist.
Arthur Rackham - The faerie master. Any Faerie artist worth their salt bows before him.
Brian Froud/Alan Lee - I still plan on stalking them at some point.

But in the end, I chose this fella...

100 Heads in 100 Days #42 / 31 Day Drawing Challenge #8
Mr. Tolkien
I read both the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings when I was quite young. I've since gone on to read pretty much all of his work. I really don't need to go on about his merits or relevance, everybody knows them by now. He's the master.

Me Fact #42
Some artists I love are- Bart Sears, Rien Poortvliet, Alan Lee, Brian Froud, Frank Frazetta, Jeffrey Jones, Larry MacDougall, Jean-Baptiste Monge, Arthur Rackham, John Bauer, Norman Rockwell, Travis Charest, Simon Bisley, Greg Staples, Kev Walker, Wayne Reynolds, Dermot Power, Jim Murray, Aldro Hibbard, Stapleton Kearns, William Russell Flint, Norman Lindsay and Barry Windsor-Smith. There's probably lots more I'm forgetting.

2 comments:

Boric G said...

What a great portrait. You gave a very elfin quality to his eyes. There's a lot of near-eternal humor going on behind those eyes. Very nicely done.

Jay Penn said...

Thanks mate, I think I probably made him a bit more 'jolly' than he actually was, I imagine him as a grump who just wanted to be left to do his thing, but for a quick little sketch, it's not awful. You want it?