Jul 5, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #39 - Medium materiality

I really need to do some experimenting with media. I love watercolours, don't get me wrong, they're quick and clean and a lot can be done with them, but sometimes I want a thicker mix on my brush with less transparency. So what's the solution? Acrylics would be the obvious choice, but I find them more and more cumbersome, they can be so claggy and uneven. I think I have got to start playing around with adding mediums to get the desired drying time and flow to the acrylics and try to see if I can get a good mix. I know that many artists mix up their own tried and true mediums, with measured quantities of a couple of different aids. I think I should try that.

Oh, by the way, there's a big announcement here tomorrow, so come back for some goodies!

100 Heads in 100 Days #39

Me Fact #39
I used to think that drawing comics for a living was where I was going to end up. I haven't thought that for a very long time. I gave it a go a couple of times many years ago, but I couldn't get my head around the process that drawing comics involved. I found the repetitiveness of it all rather frustrating. Not only do you often have to draw the same thing over and over again, but from roughs to finished pencils and possible inks, it's a lot of work and pretty blasted tedious.
Now, I think that writing and illustrating fiction, be it children's books or young fiction novels, is the way to go for me.

No comments: