Jul 2, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #36 - A Stonehead Waymarker

Back to my own challenge today.
One of the things I love to do in my world building and writing is to populate my worlds with an abundance, almost plethora, of beings and creatures. I mostly write journey stories, in the vein of The Hobbit, The Edge Chronicles and such. Similar to those stories, I like for my main characters to come across a wealth of secondary and periphery characters. In doing this, it adds layers to the world and puts the main characters into situations that can have a variety of emotive and physical reactions and consequences.
I also like to make periphery characters pop in and out of the story, and perhaps even take over the story at a later stage.
It all stems from my love of inventing characters, worlds and adventures...

100 Heads in 100 Days #36
A Stonehead Waymarker
Faerie is ribboned with paths, roads, trails, passages and the likes. They go in every which way, over mountains, under hills, around lakes, through streams. On some of the ancient and seldom used paths, one may come across a Stonehead Waymarker. These talking stones will only give directions if asked the correct question. The catch being that they will not tell you what that question is or how to discover it. To further annoy passing travelers, the 'right' question is never the same one twice, it always changes.
Stonehead Waymarkers are, thus, entirely useless in every way except as a cautionary tale of the importance of a good map on a journey. Perhaps that is why the Stonehead Waymarkers exist in the first place...

Me Fact #36
If I could have but one superpower, it would be the ability to talk to animals. I used to want to be able to fly like all kids, but I have long since wished for the ability to walk through a forest and discuss all manner of things with all manner of beasts. But the savings on airfares that flying would produce would be cool too...

2 comments:

Boric G said...

Jay, put me down for this one as well.

Jay Penn said...

Consider it done!