Jun 1, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #5

I used to love comics. When I was in my teens, I would hop on a train and head into Melbourne city to visit the comic shops almost every Saturday. I spent a fortune on Image and Marvel comics, DC was never my kind of thing.
My impressionable love of comics and comic art has left a mark on my own drawing style. When shading in pencil, I invariably go for hatching rather than tone. For the layman, that means that instead of working in a nice blend of dark to light, I do lots of individual lines that become more spread out as they move away from the dark spot.
I hate that I do that. I don't want to do that. I will no longer do that!

100 Heads in 100 Days #5
Nanna Orc
Me Fact #5
I can still recall the moment I decided I wanted to be an artist. I was 3 or 4, at kindergarten, painting a cat with a green Santa hat on. It took another 30 years for me to get off my arse and make a serious go of it.

6 comments:

Jensan said...

So much personality in this portrait! Great work!

Jay Penn said...

Thank ye!

Tim Shorts said...

Great work Jay. Such a great picture.

Jay Penn said...

Ta very much, I need to work with just pencil more often, it's fun and relaxing.

Boric G said...

If this one hasn't been spoken for, Jay...put my name on it.

Jay Penn said...

It's all yours.