Jun 25, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #29 - Skleegal Trolls

There's an old writer's saying that I'm sure you're all familiar with, that a character will take on a life of its own after a while and will basically begin to write itself.
I can't help but feel that if that is the case, my characters must be very frustrated with me indeed. Take these Trolls, for instance. Here I am, bringing them into being on the paper and computer screen, giving them faces and personalities, creating a history for many of them... only for them to never go any further...
Creating characters and worlds has always been something I've enjoyed doing. It's probably the strongest part of my storytelling, the initial world building stage.
But I simply must start following through with these story ideas. I think that writing and illustrating my own stories is the one thing I am meant to do with my life. I look at people like Tony DiTerlizzi, Brian and Wendy Froud and D. M. Cornish and I know that they have the careers that I long for.

100 Heads in 100 Days #29
Hergulf, a particularly cunning and wicked Troll from the Skleegulob Wastes
The Skleegal Trolls represent the other end of the spectrum from the Trow. The Skleegulob Wastes are a huge tract of rotten swamps, dank forests and grey lowlands. Here, the resident Trolls, Goblins and Ogres are constantly at territorial war with each other, each species scratching out the filthiest of livings, where hygiene is seen as a weakness and life is short and gruesome.
Skleegal and Trow Trolls bare very little resemblance to each other in both appearance and nature. Neither sub-species can lay claim to being of pure Troll blood, but the Skleegals are most definitely a convoluted mix of many races, including their mortal enemies, the Ogres and Goblins.

Me Fact #29 
The first otter I ever saw was unfortunately a roadkill. I bawled like a baby when I discovered it. I've since seen otters alive and well in the wild several times, treasured moments each.

1 comment:

Jay Penn said...

Reserved for Patrick Gavin.