Jun 18, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #22 - I try to draw like Alan Lee

Golly, it's fun to just draw something with a pencil! Somewhere along the line, I seem to have mislaid this artform. I've long been a fan of Alan Lee as a watercolour artist, but it has always been his pencil work that has really blown me away. He's just amazing with a piece of paper and a pencil.
I'd forgotten how versatile a simple pencil is! It can do a whole bunch of things, from intricate detail to smooth tones. It can be rough, smooth, jagged, scribbly, precise and so much more.
It's great when you re-discover an old tool like that. For the last couple of years, I've really only been using a pencil as a layout implement, an initial stage device that always made way for ink or paint. I'm relishing using it as a finishing medium...

100 Heads in 100 Days #22
Old Man Giant
Me Fact #22
I used to be one of those artists who needed the right setup to even consider doing any work. I'd need the right pencil, the right pen, the right paper. It was essentially just a method of procrastination.
Nowadays, I'm much less picky. Sure, I adore Bristol Board, but I can happily draw on anything, anytime, anywhere. I kinda need to be, too, as I don't see that fully furnished studio space becoming a reality any time soon.

No comments: