Jun 12, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #16

I can't believe it took sixteen days for me to draw a Gnome. I've mentioned before how much I love them, haven't I?
My love of Gnomes started when I read Wil Huygen and Rien Poortvliet's 'Gnomes' book when I was very young. Rien Poortvliet, to me, will always be the one artist who captured Gnomes exactly like I want them to be. They are wise, prone to smiling, forgiving, noble, bold and are the ultimate nature warriors.
The main character in the book I have been writing for far too long is a Gnome. I've tried to capture his likeness on numerous occasions, but I've never quite got him right, here's is today's attempt. Expect more over the coming months.

100 Heads in 100 Days #16
Willow 1
Me Fact #16
About once every couple of years, I have a really vivid dream involving discovering a previously unknown hoard of Rien Poortvliet books. The dreams are so vivid that I can picture myself looking through the books, seeing artwork he never actually produced, but seeing them perfectly in his style. The feelings these dreams stir up linger for weeks afterward.

No comments: