Jun 8, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #12

I've never gotten particularly great results when mixing watercolours and pen, I've never been able to strike the balance right, but yesterday's and today's heads came out better than expected. My usual method for this sort of technique is to do some loose pencils, then start working up the values in washes of thicker and thicker watercolour, leaving areas I know I can tighten with the pen. The pen comes last of all, which I thrash around the place rather brazenly. I generally work much tighter when I am black inking with a brush, but I like to keep pen inking rough and scratchy, it feels more organic and lively.

100 Heads in 100 Days #12
A Stone Ogre, or, Stogre.
Me Fact #12
My worst memory is of the family dog, Sheba, being run over when I was about 5 or 6. It was my fault and I have never gotten over it.

1 comment:

Jay Penn said...

Reserved for Patrick Gavin.