Jun 6, 2013

100 Heads in 100 Days #10

Back in my late teens and early twenties, I was crazy into beast fables. What's a beast fable, you ask? The term comes from Tolkien in his 'On Fairy Tales' essay. Essentially, a beast fable is a story that does not take place in the land of Faerie, and has talking animals. The Wind in the Willows is a beast fable, Watership Down is a beast fable.
I read every beast fable book I could find. I read stories about eagles, owls, moles (William Horwood's Duncton series), squirrels, mink, stoats and a whole menagerie of others.
This lead on to quite a lot of natural history books. From Gavin Maxwell to Derek Tangye and lots of old and obscure otter and badger books in between.
I can see myself writing my own beast fable one day.

100 Heads in 100 Days #10
Me Fact #10
I suck at drawing spacecraft. I'm okay with that.

No comments: