Jan 15, 2013

A new year

2012 was awesome.
2012 was the year that I really put my head down and produced a heck of a lot of artwork. I wanted, at the beginning of the year, to just take on as many jobs as I could, regardless of the money involved, so that I could get together a good stack of art and get my name out there in the process.
In that, I did pretty good. The money was next to nothing, but I probably produced more quality artwork in 2012 than I have in the rest of my life combined. I think I took at least one big step forward regarding skill level, and I think I found a confidence I'd previously not had.

But what about 2013?
Well, things are different now. I have a new full-time job which takes me away from home for 11 to 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. That's a lot less time at the drawing board, but there's more money in my pocket as a result. So 2013 is about balancing and budgeting time. I still want to take on every job I physically can do, but I want time to experiment. 2012 was all about pen and ink, black and white. I want 2013 to be about colour and paint. I have targets set and places I want to be... Wizards of the Coast, I'm coming for you! But I need to really sit down and study colour theory, composition and a whole swathe of skill sets I'm yet to get my head around.

But I'm really looking forward to the journey. It will hopefully be a really satisfying year artistically, with good measures of growth and accomplishment to show at the end of the year.

I've got several hefty irons in the fire as I write this, so do come back soon and see how the journey is going.

No comments: