Jul 7, 2012

31 Day Drawing Challenge - Day #7

Day 7 - Draw your favourite animated character...

As you can see, I couldn't settle on just the one. So, from top to bottom we have -

Grendel - This rendition is taken from an old VHS copy of an animated movie called Grendel, with the monster's voice brilliantly cast and executed by the great Peter Ustinov. This version of Beowulf and Grendel puts all other versions to shame, in my opinion, it has humour, style and the story is posed from the angle of Grendel. It has a haunting quality to it that lingers on.

He-Man - I grew up with He-Man. I was obsessed with He-Man. I still have a whole bunch of the original figures and still watch the cartoons every now and then. But He-Man isn't my favourite character from Masters of the Universe, that honour goes to Mer-Man, closely followed by Moss-Man and Stratos.

Jason - Taken from Science Ninja Team Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets/G-Force. In Australia, back in the late 70's and early 80's, this cartoon was called G-Force, and the coolest character was Jason, no points for guessing why I liked that character the most. I loved this show too when I was young.

Toad - One of my favourite books is 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Grahame. I've watched pretty much all of the various cartoons and other adaptations over the years, but I prefer the Cosgrove Hall/Thames Television version, which was actually a claymation adaptation. They just got the feel and atmosphere of the book bang on, and David Jason voicing Toad of Toad Hall is one of the best characters of all time.

I could have put in a whole swag of other favourites too, including Voltron (the Lions one), a couple of Asian cartoons my brothers and I used to watch in Hong Kong, Akira, Count Duckula, Roger Rabbit, Captain Caveman, Mighty Mouse... ahhhh, the memories.

Back again tomorrow!

No comments: