Jul 13, 2012

31 Day Drawing Challenge - Day #13

Day 13 - Favourite Mythical Creature.


I was initially going to go with an elf, but after further contemplation, I decided a Gnome is the winner.
My love of Gnomes began when I was probably 3 or 4, after I read Wil Huygen and Rien Poortvliet's seminal 'Gnomes' book. I can still vividly recall rushing out to the back garden and searching around the bases of all of the trees, looking for a little doorway to a Gnome dwelling. I guess that is where my interest in Faerie and the Fantastic began, all of those years ago...
I see Gnomes as essentially nature spirits, wardens of the woods, keepers of the forests. They work and live in the wild trees, protecting them, caring for them, tied to them.
I don't really agree with how they are often portrayed, be it in rpg's or on lawns. That's just not what a Gnome is to me...
Anywho, back again tomorrow for something about as far away as is possible from a deep, dark, Gnome-kept forest.

No comments: