May 10, 2010

R.I.P. Frank Frazetta

For those of you that haven't heard, the fantasy master Frank Frazetta passed away this morning after suffering a stroke after coming home from a Mother's Day celebration.

He will be missed by many.

I first discovered Mr. Frazetta's work when I was in my mid-teens when a family friend handed me a copy of The Fantastic art of Frank Frazetta 1. I was instantly hooked and still find his work incredible in it's beauty, savagery and downright awesomeness.

Frank Frazetta has been ill for a long time now, decades really, and today is a day I knew simply had to come soon, though I expected it a lot sooner. It is hard to put into words what he meant to me and no doubt many others like me. I grew up with his work and he definitely shaped not only how I draw (to some extent), but also how I look at the world. He is a part of me. It sounds mushy and perhaps a little bit over the top, but it's true. There was a time when I thought him a god. I snatched up everything I could find that he'd done, from novel covers, art books (including the Alexander exhibition book that is one of my most cherished treasures), to calendars and DVD's and everything between.

You will be missed, sir, but I thank you for all that you have given us. Below is my personal favourite...


Rest In Peace.

1 comment:

Monge said...

I'm so sad to learn this, Jay. I grew up with his pictures and I learnt so much with... It's very very sad...
RIP Master Frazetta.

Sincerely,
J-Baptiste Monge