May 19, 2010

The Labyrinth

Well, as I've mentioned in a couple of previous posts, I have been trying to get together a few proper finished illustrations for the old portfolio. I'm happy to reveal the above piece, finished a matter of about an hour ago after some pretty intensive hours over the past week.

As a back-story, my friend Gord Mackay and I have been setting each other little art challenges for the last couple of years. In the past, we've normally set tasks that are either comics or fantasy related in some way, but we've both sort of been heading in our own directions artistically of late, me with the faerie art, Gord with character design and concept art. But instead of giving up the art challenges, we decided to set each other individual tasks catered to what we are now most interested in.

So Gord's challenge for me was to depict something from Jim Henson's movie, 'The Labyrinth.' I initially tried out doing a straight scene from the movie, but that didn't go so well, then I opted for a shot of the four main characters, with various poses made up by myself. That didn't work out either, so I finally went for this piece, which is essentially just a big mashing of various Goblin-esque creatures, and the Goblin King in his Barn Owl form.
I went this way mostly because I feel it is important to develop my own style and not try and draw like Brian Froud, who is the main concept designer on the film, and an old favourite artist of mine. So I sort of just drew Goblins how I imagine them, which isn't very limited at all, as I see them as a massively varied race of Faeries, with some of them even capable of shapechanging.

So anyway, I'm pretty happy with the result. I can quite easily say it is the best thing I've ever done and it was really enjoyable to do. It is practically entirely produced with watercolour, which by the end of the piece I feel I was only just starting to get the hang of.
I'm going to have a few days break from drawing after that monster, but I don't think I'll be able to stay away too long, as I can't wait to see what I can come up with next!

Until then...

No comments: