Apr 24, 2010

Sketchbook work

I've been drawing quite a lot lately, and I have a few more refined pieces still in the works, but I thought I should post a few sketchbook odds & ends just to keep the blog ticking over. So here's a few things completed in the last few days.

This one took all of 45 minutes to from start to finish. It is really only another one of my seemingly endless experiments, this time to see how a glossy thin paper would take watercolour. The answer... not well! I was just slapping paint on by the end of it, just to see how it moved on the paper, as can be seen by the figure's hands. The figure itself is just something I drew on spec, with no thought beforehand at all.

This was originally just a pencil piece, which I wasn't really happy with, so I decided to slap on a bit of watercolour.

As long as I've been a fan of Faerie art, I've noticed that a lot of artists do images somewhat like this. It is a sort of mashing together of faces to create something more aesthetically pleasing. This is my first attempt at replicating that design. It is a fun thing to do, but I think my version suffers from a few things- the scale of the heads is too varied, it isn't dark enough and some of the heads are bad. But it is just a first attempt, so hopefully I'll address those issues next time.

This one is hot off the presses. I can feel myself getting more confident as I draw more and more. I do try and curb it where necessary, because there have been some pretty messy consequences to a few instances of getting out of control.

More to follow soon.

No comments: